7/12/2013

My thoughts on being "ugly" and my love for 2NE1

What on earth has ugliness have to do with 2NE1???

I know, these two don't seem related at all.

Let me explain.

First off, I'm not pretty, and I'm fully aware of it. I wish I was pretty, or cute, like those doe-eyed girls I see in mags as Happie Nuts or Ranzuki, with their tiny noses and pouty lips. But I'm not.

Not that I give a crap about people thinking I'm not pretty, it's just a personal issue.

However, beauty seems to be a valued gift for those who have it from birth and for those who can afford it, because, yes, you can buy painful beauty. It is so to the point where people's whole lives revolve around it, and I see that very clearly in one of my favorite things, K-pop.

Did you know that about half of the female population of South Korea has had surgery? Even the members of one of my favorite Korean bands, Brown Eyed Girls, have had some drastic surgery, which is said to have granted them the fame they enjoy today.

But that's not the case with 2NE1.





One of their first songs I heard was Ugly, in which they basically say they think they're ugly.
I got a bit mad at first, because it freaks me out when pretty girls talk about how ugly they are, because I find it attention and compliment seeking.



But that wasn't true with these girls. I read an article where the president of YG, or their manager (I can't remember clearly, sorry) said they actually weren't pretty! And then on some youtube comments, someone said they were actually considered ugly in South Korea!

How could that be? To me, Bom was the cutest thing I had seen, Dara was an example of Korean beauty, Minzy was the coolest person to ever dance (really, did you see her dance?) and CL was just beautiful. And not just "beautiful on the inside" beautiful, but truly, really, a beautiful woman.



Seriously, how is this "ugly"? At worst, she's an average-looking girl!



Maybe it's because I have "a thing" for certain ethnicities, like African-american or Asian girls (in a non-sexual, way, don't misunderstand me, please), but I did think CL was gorgeous. Cool, chic and gorgeous.

Yesterday I was reading a list of the sexiest women in k-pop (made by an american blog, by the way), and CL was in it. However, what struck me is that it said she was requested by her record label to have surgery! She did not accept.

And why would she have to?

You know what? 2NE1 is one of the most popular k-pop bands here in the west side of the world. Only in my country it has over 24,000 fans, and they were the first Korean girl group to go on a worldwide tour. So, yeah, they might not be the prettiest girl group in Korea, but the rest of the world doesn't give a crap about it.

CL became designer Jeremy Scott's muse; I mean, anyone can wear designer's clothes if they can afford it, but you must have something else to become someone's muse. And 2NE1 and those "ugly girls" enjoy more worldwide recognition than any other pretty-girls band.



As for me, I love the fact that they seem humble and approachable. Unlike other singers, like Hyuna (whom I also like, just not the same way), who look like they feel better than you, or they could steal your boyfriend... This isn't just an idea: in her video "Ice cream" she completely takes all the attention of a boy who's supposedly having ice-cream with her girlfriend. 2NE1 seem like friends you could go clubbing with.

In short, yes, maybe being pretty is a big deal, and it will take you places and give you fame, but the truth is, you need to be more than that.

So, don't freak over not fitting in some stupid beauty standards. Pretty might take you far, but talent and charisma will take you further.



Thank you for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Ah, it's so true. IT'S SO TRUE! I also couldn't believe it when people stated 2NE1 is ugly!! The beauty standards in Korea are pretty harsh if you ask me. It's the country with the most plastic surgery in the world and if your skin isn't as white as snow and your eyes big and your cheeks puffy you are not 'pretty'.

    However, I feel like 2NE1 is just about one of the ONLY girl groups out there that have understood what beauty is about. Haters will always hate so 'let them haters sit and stare' when you prove you yourself believe you're pretty and it comes from the deepest parts of your heart. When you feel the ability to go up and over those nasty comments and just do what you want to do because it's YOUR life!! :D

    I've had some down moments a while back too you know. I HATED the way I looked, my hair was stupid, my face was ugly my boobs were too small; hell, I was just too small and because all the other girls were prettier I was sure that no one would like me.

    The song UGLY really really helped me get over this "complex" because on one side this song was really sad and described exactly how I felt! But on the other side it gave me the feeling of rebellion. SO WHAT if I'm ugly; what are you going to do about it? Nothing? I thought so, I won't either! Bit by bit I've come over everything and now I am at full strength! Life is WAY too much fun to believe you're ugly. There's NO person on this eath that is truly UGLY on the outside, you just have to know how to make it work. And 2NE1 understood that perfectly. That is some REAL GIRL POWER!

    And you know, I'm very sure that you are PRETTY TOO! And cute like the Happy Nuts and Ranzuki girls! Look for ways that in your opinion make you everything you want to be. When you believe it other people believe it! Sounds cliché but it's true! Where I felt miserably UGLY 2 years ago; I now feel super beautiful and perfect! (perfect comes in more ways than one!) and I have strangers on the street just randomly saying to me "Oh, you are very pretty!"

    Thank you a lot for this post; you are really speaking my mind here! Seriously, I was thinking about all of this just, like, a day ago >w<

    BE PROUD, STAY STRONG and NOLZA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels so weird to be on the other side! Usually it's you expressing the thoughts in my head! :D

      Hating the way you look and feeling "not good enough" is like a mandatory step in adolescence, I think. But if you're strong you eventually learn to overcome it. Like you (and 2ne1) said, "let them haters sit and stare", if "ugly" is the worst thing they can say about me, I feel great about me, and sorry for them!

      However, I do judge people on what I see: their smile, the way they talk, because humility and inner beauty SHOWS, and that's a person's true beauty. That's what I see in CL, for example.

      I know I don't fit in the beauty standards of my country, for example, and I honestly don't care. Us short girls would be perfectly normal in Japan! XD

      By saying I'm not pretty I really mean to diminish the whole issue, make it less important. I truly love myself regardless of what my camera or the mirror say.

      Thank you very, very much for your comment. It's nice to have an opinion from a blogger I respect (I really do, you and your blog are awesome, no ass-kissing intended! haha)

      Delete
    2. Yep, that's true! That's why everybody should find a way to make their inner beauty show in the best way!
      Beauty standards are a weird thing and not as universal as they might seem. Where everybody is having the same make-up, shoes, hair or fake high-end designer bags; those same high-end designers create such beautiful, refreshing, weird and crafty things that those same 'everybody' (at least at my school :/) would probably never accept if it wasn't from that same 'famous' designer. So they like something because everybody likes it, but the ones not in the standards create the new trends!

      And I was in Indonesia last week. The adult men are even shorter than me over there. I FELT SO AT HOME. xDD

      It means a lot to me that you respect me and like my blog! I always appreciate and respect your opinions and fresh look to things and I will be following your blog from now on too; because there's some interesting opinions on here! And cute DIYs too :D

      Delete
    3. I believe the way you dress is an outer expression of who you are. And some time ago ago, I read "Why do you try to blend in, when you were born to stand out?". I like that you create your own style, that shows individuality and attitude!

      And thank you very much for your support, it means to me more than you can imagine. I might feel lonely in this quest for gyaru lifestyle and fashion, but your comments give me strength to do better. Ganbatte ne!!!

      Oh, speaking of Japanese, I'm attempting to learn with this awesome app called Zkanji. It's free and it helps me when I try to read Japanese mags :D

      Delete