5/13/2013

D.I.Y. Decorated Pencil Holder. (Or how to decorate cans) - Another very easy D.I.Y


Do you have a lot of cans laying around and want some ideas on what to do with them? Here's a very easy decoration project.
Again, I can't believe I haven't tried this before.
You can do this D.I.Y. project with some materials you probably already have at home.

This is the result


You'll need


* A tin can: You'll have to take the top off as cleanly as possible so the edges won't be sharp. I used a can of peas and took the top off with a regular can opener; it worked just fine.

* Strips of decorated paper: They can be leftovers of wrapping paper. If you can't find any motif you like, you can just google some wallpapers (with any theme you prefer) and print them, like I did. For this project I used only one strip of paper, but you can mix different strips to create different designs. I chose to show different papers for decoration purposes :)
You'll have to cut them to adjust to the height of the can. I used the pink one and the height was just perfect. A happy coincidence and laziness to cut the other two.

* Scissors.

* Glue: I suggest using glue stick, but liquid glue will work.


Steps:
1 - Wrap the strip of paper around the can to measure it. Draw a mark to cut the extra paper.



2- Cut, turn the paper and apply glue on the edge (about one centimeter will do)





 Note: if you do this with liquid glue, spread it evenly with your finger so the paper doesn't get too wet.

3 - Wrap the can once more and press to glue the paper

Do it carefully so the paper gets wrapped tightly around the can. This will prevent it from slipping off.
Done! It's that simple :)

You can use this technique to decorate any can you like, like these


There are an old pencil holder I did a while ago (I LOVE the pink pokémons design), the recently made one, and a can of formula with a lid, which currently has rice in it..


 That's it for today! Hope you liked it and thanks for reading!






No comments:

Post a Comment