5/02/2013

What's the deal with natural beauty?

Everyone has an idea of right and wrong. Let's leave religious concepts for a minute and focus on morality, that "inner compass" that helps us distinguish between right and wrong.
It is wrong to judge people for what they are (what they were born with, what we didn't choose) and it's right to judge them on what they do (what they choose to do). We can't judge people because of their race or ethnicity, their religion, their nationality, their gender. We can all agree to that, right? Well, if so, my question is the following, why do we have so much respect or appreciation for the so called "natural beauty"? Being naturally beautiful (thin, or tall, or just "pretty") only means you got really lucky when it comes to genetics. You didn't have to do anything to earn it, it's just there. Aren't we supposed to not judge people over that?
Some women, like me, need to work out a lot, follow a diet, wear lots of make-up, dye our hair, pluck some hairs on our unflattering eyebrows, etc., to fit into the beauty standards of our societies. (In my case, I don't succeed completely.)
Being attractive gets you far, that's a sad truth, and whoever tells you otherwise are just fooling themselves. I mean, let's face it, if me and a more attractive girl were equally qualified for the same job, chances are, she would get the job, because beauty sells. If you don't believe me, just check out the multimillionaire companies that make money out of beauty products. (Careful here, I'm not saying that's the way I see it, but the way it is.)
Ok, I'm getting a bit too far from the topic. My point is, this whole idea of natural beauty only makes people discriminate against those who are not. There is this growing tendency to show celebrities without make-up almost in an incriminating and mocking way, like saying "Ha! You ugly liar! You're just all make-up and photoshop!". Even celebrities like Demi Lovato make these "campaigns" against wearing make-up, showing themselves au naturel, proving they can be pretty without it. Well, guess what? I can't. I have redness and pimples and allergies that make me look not necessarily ugly, but unhealthy, which I really don't like.
If you are pretty enough to feel confident (and most important, to not be looked down on by society) that's great. But making it such a big deal is plainly saying "if you're not born with it, too bad", because the truth is, there's nothing you can do about it.
So, let people be. Shouldn't it be the inside that matters? Focus on that and let them "decorate" their outside anyway they want!

2 comments:

  1. How come you don't have follow or subscribe buttons on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm working on it right now.

    By the way, I posted a more complete (and extensive) explanation/apology, here:
    http://miablackheart.blogspot.com.ar/2013/07/apologies.html

    ReplyDelete