8/28/2013

Fixing flip-flops - Another easy D.I.Y.!

Are you tired of this happening to you?


Are you tired of throwing away one pair of flip-flops after another because of this?
Ok, I'm starting to sound like an infomercial XD

The thing is, a broken pair of flip-flop is a chance for a D.I.Y. so you can go from that to this


I promise, this is very easy to do, and all you'll need is those broken flip-flops and long strips of fabric. As for me, I recycled an old scarf.


Then, you'll just have to knot! No sewing, no gluing.

However, piece of advice about the fabric you'll use: make sure it's not too silky or too elastic, since the basic process of this project is to tie knots, and trust me, you'll need those knots to be strong and not slippery.

So, are you ready?

Here are the steps:

First, you'll need to get rid of all the upper part to be left with only the sole.

Cut off these thingies :)

Then, you'll have to cut long strips of fabric, about 1,5 or 2 inches wide (or 3 to 5 centimeters). As for the length, it'll depend on how you'll like to tie it. I chose to make mine "ballerina style", so it was about 3 feet long. I suggest starting with this length and then cutting it if it feels too long.

Fold it in two and pass it through the upper hole. If you have trouble with this, use a safety pin. Pin the fabric and pass the pin through the hole and the fabric will follow.


Then tie a very strong knot (make sure it really is strong, it's important). The knot should fit in the hollow space but not go through the hole.

Tie the knot...

... and tuck it in

For the sides, you'll need two pieces about 8 inches long and 1.5 or 2 inches wide (20 cm long and 3 to 5 cm wide).


The process is the same: fold in two, pass through the hole and tie a strong knot.


And the rest is truly up to you! You'll pass the main two strips through each of the loops on the side and then tie it around you ankles.

Ta-da!
Side view

I chose this design because it allows you to make a few different models.

Like this

Or this

And, another positive thing, is once you get tired of the model or the color, you can just take the fabric off and do it again with a different one.

However, I don't know how long the fabric will resist. I've seen this D.I.Y. before but no one specifies on this matter.
 I've been test-wearing mine in the house for a few hours, and they're holding just fine :) (I'd test them outside, but it's winter here, so...)

I hope you've liked it! :)

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment